WASHINGTON, D.C. (September 20, 2021) – The North American Securities Administrators Association (NASAA), the organization of U.S. state securities regulators, securities regulators in Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands and securities regulators in Canada and Mexico announced that its members approved a Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) statement during its Fall Annual Meeting.
“DEI issues will remain at the forefront of our mission, and our statement represents a positive and necessary step forward for NASAA,” said Lisa A. Hopkins, NASAA President and West Virginia Senior Deputy Commissioner of Securities. “This statement will inform and guide the way we carry out the NASAA mission.”
The new statement articulates NASAA’s commitment to promote DEI to further its mission to protect investors, advance responsible capital formation and ensure the integrity and efficiency of the capital markets.
Hopkins added, “I appreciate the hard work of NASAA DEI Committee led by Co-Chairs Harvey McCleskey of Ohio and Noula Zaharis of Georgia. Other members of the committee include Leslie Van Buskirk of Wisconsin, Henry K. Tanji of Hawaii, Mogey Lovelle of Arizona, Claire McHenry of Nebraska, Annette Minor of Minnesota, Patrick Stickney of Washington, Karla Black of Maine, Robin Jacobs of Wisconsin, Kelvin Blake of Maryland, Damaris Mendoza Román of Puerto Rico, Kim Lachapelle of Quebec, Canada, Lindsay Nasshorn of Delaware, and Oralia Cooper of Michigan.”
NASAA Statement on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
NASAA values its diverse membership and is committed to a welcoming and accepting environment for all people regardless of race, ethnicity, nationality, gender, gender identity, religion, culture, sexual orientation, disability, or background. NASAA is also committed to forging a powerful community that fosters integration, inclusion, respect, and treats everyone fairly.
How NASAA Defines DEI
- Diversity refers to the characteristics that make individuals or groups different from one another.
- Equity refers to treating everyone fairly. An emphasis on equity seeks to render justice by deeply considering structural factors that benefit some social groups and communities while harming others.
- Inclusion refers to an intentional effort to transform the status quo by creating opportunities for those who have been historically marginalized. A focus on inclusion emphasizes outcomes of diversity and equity, rather than assuming that increasing compositional diversity automatically creates equity in access and opportunity, or an enhanced organizational climate.
The Benefits of DEI
Diversity leads to innovation, creativity, and better business decisions. Fostering and promoting DEI leads to a broader understanding of and better outcomes for our organization, members, employees, partner organizations, the industry regulated by our members, and the investing public.
NASAA’s DEI Goals
- Promote diverse representation from NASAA’s members in its leadership, activities, and the development of its policies.
- Integrate and support the development of skills, knowledge, and attitudes needed to promote diverse, equitable and inclusive environments.
- Promote the recruitment and retention of the brightest and best minds to better understand and serve the diverse needs of investors, regulated firms and individuals, companies seeking capital, and the capital markets.
- Provide members with tools and resources to attract and retain diverse talent.
- Support our members’ DEI efforts, including through NASAA’s education and mentorship efforts.
- Be accountable, and provide measurable results, to our members and stakeholders to implement DEI measures.
For More Information:
Jeanne Hamrick | Director of Communications
Karen Grajales | Communications & Outreach Manager