I. Registration Fees.
- Investment Adviser: $200.
- Investment Adviser Representative: $50.
II. Financial & Bonding Requirements. For IAs who have custody of client assets, New Jersey requires audited financial statements. For IAs that do not maintain custody, they must submit financial statements that the IA certifies are accurate.
III. Sole Proprietorships. If an IA is a sole proprietorship, the proprietor must file a Form U4 but may be not required to pay a fee to register as an IAR depending upon the IA’s corporate structure. A single person IA should contact the Bureau to determine whether the IAR fee must be paid.
IV. De Minimis. Neither an in-state nor an out-of-state IA is required to register until it has more than 5 clients.
V. Branch Offices. If an IA has branch offices within the state, the IA must register each branch office but is not required to pay a registration fee.
VI. Other Required Documents.
- Signed financial statements.
- Signed surety/fidelity bond.
- Signed fingerprints.
- Independent contractor’s acknowledgement.
- Designation of supervisor.
- Certificate of formation/articles of incorporation.
- URL for applicant.
- Client contract.
- Advertising materials, including newsletters, seminar materials, blank letterhead, and business cards.
For additional information, please contact the state securities administrator.