How do I file a complaint about an adviser or broker?
An investor who has a concern or complaint about their adviser should take the following steps:
- Contact the adviser directly – be sure to make detailed notes of any conversations. If there has been a miscommunication or administrative error, it may be easily fixed.
- Write to the branch manager with a copy to the firm’s compliance officer.
- If you are unable to resolve the issue with your adviser, or are not comfortable raising the issue, you should contact the branch manager or compliance officer to see what may be done. If you are still unsatisfied, contact your local regulator.
For more information on how to investigate your broker or investment adviser, click here.
How do I report a scam or suspicious investment?
Feeling uncomfortable about an investment you’ve been considering? Not sure if you should believe your friend when he or she says the opportunity is too good to be missed? If you are unsure whether to report, give yourself some peace of mind. Research the particular company or individual that is offering the investment. Only you can ensure that you are making an informed decision:
- Conduct a background check to find out if there has been any disciplinary action/enforcement action taken against a company and/or individual and if they are registered.
- Familiarize yourself with common Red Flags to see if any come up for your potential investment.
- Read up on our latest investor alerts and regular scams so you don’t get involved in a scheme.
If, after taking these steps, you still have additional concerns, contact your local securities regulator by clicking here.
To make this process easier, be ready to provide the following information:
- Complete spelling of your first and last name
- State whether you wish to have a response from us via email or phone
- If email: spell the email address slowly and clearly
- If phone: list multiple numbers with area code for reaching you (work, home, cell), when a convenient call back time is and whether it is okay for us to leave a detailed message on your answering machine/ voicemail
- State what it is that you are wanting to know (ie. if an adviser/ broker is registered
- List the spelling of the full name of the adviser/ broker or company you are wondering about. (If possible, please provide a middle name or initial and/ or the correct variation of the company such as Inc., Ltd., Co.)