Conversation Starters for Working Adults and Employers
Consider these questions to improve your understanding about available employee benefits and prepare yourself for possible career changes, job loss or retirement.
- Do you understand your income and expenses?
- How much of your pay can you contribute to saving, investing and retirement planning?
- Where can you cut back on expenses to save and invest more?
- How would you use a future pay raise or bonus?
- How much of your pay will you direct deposit to a savings account and/or retirement plan?
- Are you taking advantage of employer-matched retirement plan contributions?
- Do you have a fund for emergencies?
- Where can you find help with your investment decisions? Which type of investment professional is right for you?
- Does your employer offer any financial classes?
- Does your mix if investments match the level of risk you want?
- How do you roll over your retirement accounts?
- Do you know all commissions, penalities, taxes and fees for withdrawing or rolling over retirement funds?
Scams and Frauds
- How do you know your investment is safe?
- Do you monitor your investments and ask questions?
- Where can you verify an investment opportunity and promoter?
- If you suspect a scam, what should you do?
- How can you protect yourself from investment scams and fraud?